NCB, Peckett B2 Class, 0-6-0ST, 1426/1916 – Era 6 (R3766)

NCB, Peckett B2 Class, 0-6-0ST, 1426/1916 – Era 6 (R3766)

Peckett 1426 was built in 1916 for the Glasbrook Bros. at their Garngoch Colliery No.3, which employed 468 men at that time. In 1947, as the coal mines were nationalised, Garngoch came under the NCB’s South West Division, Area No. 1, No. 2 Group, which covered Morlais, Mountain and Brynlliw collieries, but by 1965 the colliery was uneconomical and the men and locomotives were transferred to Brynlliw, which had reopened in 1961 having received a £4.8 million redevelopment. 1426 remained at Brynlliw until closure in 1982, using spares from Peckett 1187 to keep running and was eventually placed in the care of the Swansea Museum, where it is currently in open storage at the Landore Reserve Collection site.