BR 2-8-0 42xx Class – Late BR (R3223)
The Class 42XX was designed by George Jackson Churchward, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Great Western Railway (GWR) from 1902 until 1922.
Due to the increase in mineral traffic in South Wales there was a demand for a powerful freight locomotive capable of handling very heavy loads. The Class 42XX was developed and built especially for moving this heavy freight on short haul trips between the coal mines and the South Wales ports.
The locomotives weighed 82 tons and 2 cwt with a fuel capacity of 4 tons together with a water capacity of 1800 imperial gallons. The Class was fitted with Stephenson (Piston valve) Gear and produced a boiler pressure of 200psi. The locomotives had a tractive effort of 33,170 lbs. plus two 18” x 30” outside cylinders. A total of 60 of these 2-8-0 tank engines were built at the GWR Swindon Locomotive Works between 1912 and 1923.
In 1923 a variant known as 5205 Class was developed, these locomotives had larger 19” x 30” cylinders, outside steam pipes and an increased tractive effort. Fourteen of this Class were later rebuilt as Class 7200 2-8-2T tank locomotives enabling them to increase their operating capabilities. These locomotives were renumbered as 7240 – 7253 respectively. The combined total build of the respective classes was 105 of which 91 passed into British Railways ownership in 1948. Locomotive No. 4224 was the first of the Class to be withdrawn in February 1959 and the last was No. 4268 in August 1965. Three of the Class have been preserved.
The locomotive represented in this pack, No. 4257 was outshopped from the Swindon Locomotive Works on the 30th April 1917 and was withdrawn from Shed 86J Aberdare on the 31st October 1963 and was finally cut up on the 31st May 1964 by R. S. Hayes / Birds, Tremains Year, Bridgend.
Suitable rolling stock: BR rolling stock of the period.
OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)
DCC Ready. 8-pin socket